Thursday, January 7, 2010

I just looked at our blog and realized that it’s been two months since we posted. It’s been a busy couple of months. I’ll step back and fill everyone in.

We had a wonderful Fall of firsts! While we were home with Grace last Fall, she was so young that the typical events were not too special to her. But this year, it was totally different!

We went apple picking.

We went to Maybury Farm and did most of the corn maze. They had a small maze made out of hay bales for the smaller kids. Grace loved this!

She was a princess for Halloween. Perfect for her! She didn’t really understand what was going on, but she was taking it all in. As we walked from house to house, we practically had to drag her along because she was so busy looking at everyone’s costume. She wasn’t scared at all. I don’t think she really understood the whole trick or treat thing. She knew that people at each house were putting something in her bag, but that’s about it!

We had a very nice Thanksgiving at my parent’s house. Grace loved being with her cousins.

Greg and I both had two weeks off for the holidays. It has been so nice to just be with Grace. This time went by so fast I just can’t believe it. We were really busy with all of the holiday events. First of all, no we didn’t take Grace to see Santa. I couldn’t think of anything that she would like about sitting on the knee of a man with a lot of facial hair. We spent Thursday (Christmas Eve) through Sunday at my parents. Grace doesn’t understand the whole Santa thing. But she does understand presents! Last year, the focus was on the boxes, paper, and ribbons. This year, she knew that inside those packages was something special for her! Santa came to Grandma and Grandpa’s house. Grace had no idea that some presents were from Santa and some were from everyone else! Santa did leave one big gift at home, because it would have been too much to carry back and forth. Grace got a kitchen! This definitely seems to be a big hit. Everyday she is making and serving us coffee, pancakes, grilled cheese, eggs, etc. It is so much fun!

Grace had her first haircut. She did a pretty good job. We went to Carnival Cuts, which had a little car for Grace to sit in while she had her hair cut. At the first sign of tears, the stylist gave her a sucker. This was the first time Grace had ever had a sucker. Apparently, she thought it was pretty good, because she wouldn’t let it go!

Grace is just unbelievable. At her 24 month checkup (which was really at 25 months), she was in the 75th percentile for height and the 50th percentile for weight. Hard to believe that one year ago, she was not even on the charts for either height or weight! Her verbal skills are amazing! She is saying new words and putting more sentences together everyday. She is speaking in 6 to 7 word sentences. She says “I love you, Mommy” and “I love you, Daddy” to us all the time. Could anything be more wonderful???!!!

Pretty much everything is “I do it!” Grace is working on becoming very independent! She has to put on her own socks, shoes, coat, mittens, hat, etc. We’ve tried potty training a little bit. She has gone both pee pee and poo poo in the potty. She will tell us as she is going in her diaper. But she has yet to tell us beforehand, so we can get her to the potty in time. I just bought the book “Toilet Training in Less Than a Day.” We’ll see if this gives me some clues to help Grace along.

I think that should get us about caught up. I’ll try to be better at my blogging!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi:

We adopter our daughter when she was 1 and she just turned 9 a few months back. I ran across your blog when I was searching for my daughters orphanage address in Astrakhan

I wanted to Google earth the address. Special Baby House Address: Chekhova Street, 13 Astrakhan, 414040, Phone: (8512) 22 18 92 however, it doesn’t come up. Would you of happened to use the same Baby House? If so, would you happen to have the address?
Also, I have to tell you your blog is exactly what my wife and I experienced right down to me sweating on the plane in Astrakhan. However, our flight was a little smellier. We had fishermen on the plan with Sturgis in plastic bags; they were very kind to offer the passengers about 30 people pieces of the raw fish they just caught. Yep, about 100 degrees in the plane. The flight attendants face had black lines of mascara running down.

People say that she is so lucky but as you said in your blog we are the lucky ones.

God Bless you and your family.

Sincerely,

Michael
Mvizz@aol.com